One of my favorite parts about engagement is intentionally planning our future together. Through various classes and premarital coaching, we were prompted with all sorts of questions to explore in our relationship. I gathered some of our favorites that sparked meaningful conversation for us to share with you.
Whether you are engaged or already married, I highly recommend going through these questions together. I threw a couple fun ones in there, just to keep it light. Try these out on your next date night!
*Please Note: I do not recommend asking these on a first date.*
25(ish) Questions to Ask Your Significant Other Before Marriage
- How/when do you feel the most loved? (*I highly recommend finding out your love language here!!*)
- How can I love you better?
- What do you admire most about me? What are your pet peeves?
- What does your ideal wedding look like? How much would you be willing to spend on a wedding?
- How did your parents handle disagreements? (Did they throw things? Talk calmly? Storm away?)
- How important is your religion? How will you celebrate religious holidays (if at all)?
- If a theme song played every time you entered a room, what would it be?
- How many kids do you want (if any)? When do you want kids?
- What are your favorite family traditions? Are there any traditions you would like to change?
- What is your least favorite board game?
- What are your expectations about splitting time with family? How often would you like to talk with/see your family?
- What roles and responsibilities did your mother/father take in their marriage? Do you expect the same going into marriage?
- How did your parents discipline you as a child?
- What’s something you always wanted to do as a child but never got to do?
- If you were trying out for the Voice, what song would you sing?
- How often would you like to travel?
- What’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever cried about?
- How do you feel about debt? — Is your debt my debt? How much debt, if any, are you bringing into marriage?
- Are you more of a spender or saver by nature?
- How will we keep the romance alive in our marriage?
- How can we have more fun together?
- What is your view on same gender friendships? How will we protect our commitment to each other in marriage?
- How important is sex to you?
- What would you like our life to look in 1 year? 5 years? 10 years?
- What legacy do you want to leave as a family?